Monday, September 8, 2014

Harvest

Ultimately, after all the preparation and the placement of decoys and the time in the field, it becomes about the eating.
On Friday afternoon and Saturday morning I positioned myself back in the field of sunflowers at the hunting club. This is "the dove field."
I had more success than on opening day and shot a few fat healthy birds.
Said birds were cleaned and put on ice Saturday afternoon.
Last night I made dove breast empanadas from my harvest. I winged the recipe (no pun intended) and sauteed some shallots and then added the chopped breast meat. Then I added 2 large tablespoons of peach-pecan jam I had purchased in Vermont at Dakin farms on the last trip to UVM to pick up my daughter.
I reduced liquid and then cooled the mixture. After folding the cooled meat into circles of Pillsbury crescent roll dough and baking...these delicious appetizers were a huge hit during cocktails before dinner.

1 comment:

WSTKS-FM Worldwide said...

Sounds delicious!

Best Regards,

Heinz-Ulrich von B.